Saturday, October 8, 2011

Game 1 Recap - 10/8/2011

This is difficult. I had a hard time following the puck and I don't really know how to tell who anyone is or where they're supposed to be. I feel like Towlie from South Park; "I have no idea what's going on." It's complete mayhem. I have no idea how I'm even going to be able to judge talent. It's crazy how close players can be the opposing goalie with the puck and have absolutely no chance to score because of the swarming defense. No other sport is like that. There's no time to think while watching this game. I'm still not sure whether the pace of the game is perfect for those with amazing attention spans or terrible ones. I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

But onto the Islanders themselves. They never had the puck and it was kind of annoying to watch them play defense the entire time. Howie Rose offers a comforting and familiar entry to the game and I'm glad he's here to guide me. He's so unbelievable on the radio with the Mets. Nassau Colosseum is stuck in 1994. Besides looking and feeling exactly like a stadium stuck in 1994, it plays this song and Lenny Kravitz in between timeouts. I rest my case.

So the game didn't end up too well. I even screamed after the Panthers scored the same way I scream when the Mets let up a run - that counts for something, right? Travis Hamonic got into a fight and that was awesome because my friend Nick said he felt a big year from him. Starting it off with a fight, for me Travis? Cant go wrong. Violence is so glorified and encouraged in the sport, it is so beautiful. Hockey has embraced and perfected the one thing other sports shy away from: When in competition, why deny our primal selves?

I learned what a one timer is and I can imagine when it actually works, it's probably the most exciting thing ever. I also learned what off-sides is; simple enough. It's a good rule to prevent camping by the goalie...like spawn killing in Call of Duty or Halo. The pace of the game is nuts - players coming into and out of shifts is crazy - I imagine players screaming like army commanders; go go go go!

On a closing note, I hope to get some interviews with fans, writers and perhaps team officials soon.

Final score: Panthers 2 Islanders 0

No comments:

Post a Comment